Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a federally funded program that provides funds to assist low-income households with water and wastewater bills. APPLY HERE
General Program Requirements
- The applicant must be a South Carolina resident living at the service address.
- The bill must be in a household member’s name.
- Eligible household members must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible immigrant.
- A household’s total gross income cannot exceed 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG).
- Other documents may be requested to determine eligibility.
Income guidelines for mandatory use in 2023 to determine eligibility:
How Do I Apply?
Contact your local Community Action Agency by selecting the county in which you live.
Select your county:
Program Goals and Priorities
- Provide an overall emergency effort to prevent, prepare for, and respond to the public health focus of ensuring that low-income households have access to safe and clean drinking water and wastewater services.
- Assist eligible households in meeting the cost of water and wastewater burdens.
South Carolina’s LIHWAP funds will be distributed to eligible Community Action Agencies (CAAs) statewide. CAAs will accept customer applications in each of South Carolina’s 46 counties, determine customer eligibility, and process payments to public water and wastewater service providers.
The LIHWAP supplemental funding will be available for expenditure through September 30, 2023.
If you feel you were treated unfairly, denied service(s), your application was not processed in a timely manner, or are disputing the amount of your benefit, please notify the community action agency in your county of residence to appeal and request a fair hearing. Your application will be properly reviewed to determine eligibility based on the required documents provided.
If your appeal is further denied by the Community Action Agency, a written appeal may be submitted to E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Office of Economic Opportunity
Attention: Legal Counsel
1205 Pendleton Street, Suite 355
Columbia, South Carolina 29201